Subject: [Leica] IMG: Flare!
From: leicam4pro at yahoo.com (John Biava)
Date: Tue Apr 17 16:33:38 2007

During the past ten years I have spent a lot of time looking at publications
concerning the (un)Civil War.  Most of Brady's ( and perhaps others ) photos
were carefully composed by stage managing the scene.  But the intent was to
give the public a sense of something horrible.  It was to to debunk the
"glory" of war.

  This was exactly opposite of what the pen and ink illustraters were doing
for the big weeklies.  The sketching artists were doing what the editors
wanted.  To create images to go with a story.

  Which is less ethical ?

Tina Manley <images@comporium.net> wrote:
  At 04:58 PM 4/15/2007, you wrote:
>I hadn't seen this, but it reminds me of the famous firing over an
>altered photograph early on during the war.
>
>http://www.poynter.org/content/content_view.asp?id=28082
>
>Jeff M

And that's the kind of thing that you should get fired for, too, and
the photojournalist who cloned smoke to make it look like the
Israel/Palestinian bombing was worse than it actually was. On the
other hand, when Patrick Schneider burned in the background and/or
intensified the color on the silhouette of a firefighter, if the
photo is used to illustrate an article about firefighting and was not
an actual news story about a particular fire, and if the photograph
is labeled "photo-illustration", that should be o.k. There's a
definite line there between a news/photojournalist photograph and a
stock/illustrator photograph. What is o.k. for one is definitely not
o.k. for the other. I don't think most of the public trusts
photojournalists anymore - mainly because of the paparazzis and
scandals like Oprah's head on Ann-Margret's body for TV Guide or O.J.
Simpson's darker skin on Time Magazine - but then,I don't consider
celebrity photographers to be photojournalists anyway. It's a mess
currently and is not being helped by citizen "photojournalists" who
provide photos to newspapers for free but have no training or
knowledge of what is allowed and what is not.

Just my 2 cents!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com