Subject: [Leica] OT: Lightroom help
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Apr 6 13:50:11 2007

Hi Daniel,

Wade and others have already answered your questions. I will just add
that most things about Lightroom seem more difficult when you read about
them than when you actually do it. I am certainly no expert on
Lightroom, but have become totally converted in the couple of months I
have been using it.

The whole concept of non-destructive editing is wonderful. As Wade
explained, importing the files from a folder does not change them in any
way--it simply tells Lightroom that they exist and instruct it to create
the thumbnails, read the metadata into the database etc.

What I usually do is to import the RAW files, do whatever I need to do
to them, and then export them as TIFFs for archiving and printing, and
as JPGs for posting on the web. I guess if I wanted to keep the whole
edit history I could export them as DNG files, but I don't care too much
about that. And besides, because Lightroom is so much faster than
Photoshop, and I still have my RAW files, redoing my modest
manipulations would be a piece of cake.

Nathan