Subject: [Leica] Shanghai father
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed Apr 4 13:33:36 2007

Tina Manley wrote:
I think there is a definite link somehow.  Across the Bering
Strait?  I had a photo of a Guatemalan woman on the screen and my
husband walked in and wanted to know where in China I had taken
it.  Especially the indigenous people of Honduras and Guatemala tend
to look very Asian.
========================

I recently attended a lecture by a Bering Sea Inuit
whale-hunter/anthropologist.   His village (Wales, AK) is right on the
Strait, facing east.  He said a lot of villagers have extended family on the
other side, in Asia.  The Iron Curtain years were really hard on them
because they couldn't visit each other.  I never thought about it before but
there are Eskimo/Inuit peoples on both sides of the Strait even today.  This
guy had some fascinating stories to tell about growing up in a
hunter-gathering culture in the Arctic.  I don't know if he was
typical-looking, but if he had said he was Mexican you wouldn't have
questioned it.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE