Subject: [Leica] M8 first glitch
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 26 13:34:48 2007

On 3/26/07 3:40 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:

> Bad (digital) juju.  Easily fixed using film.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>

> NOTE: DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHERS MUST
> BACK UP THEIR CAMERAS WITH OTHER CAMERAS WITH THE SAME DISCIPLINE
> THAT THEY BACK UP THEIR IMAGE FILES.
>
> Sat on a bench. Opened the M8 again. Popped both the battery and the
> SD card out - then in again. Closed it up. The shutter worked. Put
> the camera back in the bag. Didn't do any more photography.
>
> Just now as I type this - I try the camera again - "Shutter 'Err"
> again on the viewfinder display and "Attention Shutter Fault" on the
> LCD screen. WTF? Anyone experienced or heard about this one?
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser

Well photographers certainly back up their film cameras.
To me and many a "system" is a body. Wide, normal and tele lenses
And flash.
And backup body.
Then you are set up to start out.

That's a system. I think a lot of photographers would agree with that.

Once you've going out and got the glass you need and a flash and what ever
else you might as well know you're still in business if the camera shorts
out or just stops working in the middle of shots you don't have an option of
not bringing home with you at the end of the day.

Notice when Ted and Tina say something like "yes those M8's sound great I'll
have to order 2 or 3 of them tomorrow" and Ted doesn't leave home to do a
job with only one body. Hope I'm not miss quote you Ted.

I have a Nikon d200 and a d100 for backup. Which I sure hope I never have to
touch again I hope the batteries are not leaking.

I have a backup body for my M system for when I shoot film

Its not all of a sudden digital makes you more insecure with your gear.
That's an extension of our "all our pixels are going to disappear" stigma of
low tech people afraid of digital but just not wanting to bother learning
new stuff. "my floppies don't work any more"
All that stuff is easily circumventalbe.

With a regular program when used as directed in a conscientiously applied
program of digital hygiene and regular professional care.
Council on Magnetic Affairs ~ American Digital Association.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com