Subject: [Leica] IMG: Lightroom scans to WEB
From: dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Mar 25 01:14:55 2007

Hi Michiel,

Yes, sharpening is probably needed. But that means:

1) Dumping Lightroom
2) Just using Photoshop

Lightroom, like Lightzone, only sharpens fullsized images. It doesn't
make any sense to even try to sharpen an image the size of 5600 x 3600
pixels and then, after sharpening, resize it to 600 x 400 or something
similar.

When I work against RAW files I export the files as tiffs (you get a
chance to resize them when you export them), and then I take them into
Gimp or Photoshop and add sharpening.

With scans, you'd almost want to stick with Photoshop or Gimp the whole
way. Cloning and healing in Lightroom is designed for the odd spot, not
for a Nikon LS-5000 scan that catches all of the blemishes.

There is no way to scroll around on the full-sized image. In Photoshop
you can click on the slider part of a window and scroll one window at
time and work your way through the image.

With Lightroom you have to drag the little square around, making sure
you overlap a little since you aren't getting exact scrolls from one
section to another ... it is ... a ... drag.

My conclusion is pretty much that if you scan film, then Lightroom is in
the way more than it is of help.

Daniel