Subject: [Leica] M8 and SD cards
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sat Mar 24 10:25:24 2007

At 2:19 AM +0000 3/24/07, grduprey@mchsi.com wrote:
>Dante,
>
>Unfortunately all I have are the Extreme III SD cards, which I
>assume are accelerated?  Wrtie speed seems to be 1 second or less.
>
>Gene

The only 'accelerated' cards I know of are certain Lexar cards. Nikon
cameras can apparently take advantage of this to some degree.
Otherwise the 'speed' of the card is often mentioned, as in 60x, 133x
or 130x. The basic speed (one) related to the speed that data can
come off a CD at 'normal' speed, ie, about eighty minutes for 700mb.
You don't want '1x' cards :-).

Once the speeds get to around a 100x or so, other factors start
getting more prominent, such as the controller on the chip, and the
camera hardware. So a 133x card that is faster than another 133x card
in another camera can become slower when the cards are used in
different cameras.

The Sandisk Ultra II's seem to be uniformly good in most cameras, and
are proven performers. The Extreme II's are only very slightly
faster, are supposedly more rugged, and cost more. Then there are
III's and even IV's, but there seems to be a direction of diminishing
returns as the cameras can't take advantage of the speeds offered.
What does seem to make a difference is the size of the card. Almost
universally, 1Gb are faster than 2Gb are faster than 4Gb are faster
than 8Gb. With M8 and DSLR file sizes, 1Gb is a bit small, so 2Gb is
generally the sweet spot, although the speed hit going to 4Gb isn't
much.