Subject: [Leica] First computer
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Mon Mar 19 15:01:53 2007

Oh, OK....The first computer that I built was at school - an analogue device
for
simulating second order differential equations (electrical circuits,
suspensions
- that sort of thing). The output was direct to an oscilloscope, we never
got
round to putting together anything more meaningful as output, though it told
you
anything you needed to know. The bits apparently came from the Royal
Aircraft
Establishment and were single chip op amps in the main, which were a real
rarity
outside of tech institutions in those days - I was still at (high) school -
and
Gates, well he was barely out of diapers ;-) it seems a long way from where
we
are now with Intel demo'ing 80-core processors

Peter Dzwig

PS I will post some PAW photos soon - promise (does that get us vaguely back
on
topic?)

Sanjay Nasta wrote:
> I came to computers just a couple of years after photography (can't
> remember what the first camera was but I know I got in trouble because I
> shot a roll in about 20' and in India rolls and development were expensive
> in those days; the first subject was the nice Nepalese lady who took care
> of me and her husband who was the night watchman at the apt. we lived).
>
> The first computer was a SWTPC 6800 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SWTPC).
>  My dad taught at Indiana University and I got to program in Basic with a
> TI Silent 700 (thermal printer terminal).  Got a lot of free CPU time.
> Then he got a job at a "dealer" for the SWTPC--Syscon Internation in South
> Bend.  We didn't buy the fancy case--the thing lived in the top drawer of
> a file cabinet...and we bought the kit so I learned to solder rather well
> (hundreds of connections).  The first 16K cost $1000.  I don't recall what
> the first floppy cost  but I do remember that you had to tune the speed of
> the darn thing with a strobe light.  I was most impressed when my dad
> figured out that rewiring the feedback circuit would fix the speed drift
> (those IIT engineers).  That computer got me started in my present
> profession.  I still use the lessons I learned from Tom Townsend the owner
> of Syscon when I run my business.  In India when my dad ran his business
> he wouldn't be caught dead picking
up a broom or getting tea for an employee--in the US I saw Tom do that all
the time.