Subject: [Leica] WTB: Series 5.5 filters
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Mar 16 19:18:03 2007

At 11:54 PM +0000 3/16/07, Ian Piper wrote:
>I think I read that here a while back, but unfortunately I cannot
>find *any* information on new Series 5.5 filters. I have looked at a
>range of sites offering B+W or Heliopan filters, for example, and
>have not found any reference to Series 5.5 filters. If you know of a
>link to a specific resource somewhere that would be extremely useful.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Ian.
>--

Heliopan still lists Series 5.5 in most colours for B&W in their
catalog. List price is 21.50 Euro, so if you order them you'll pay
somewhere around 17 Euro each, I would think. The multicoated and
polarizers don't seem to be available, but would be possible to get
on special order. You could order these from Heliopan directly, but a
better source is (as I've written a number of times in the last month
:-)):

Sally Neureuther
FOTO MAYR
sneureuther@fotomayr.de

I've ordered filters from her, received them in less than 2 weeks and
the prices were decent. You'll pay more for them if you order them
from someplace in the States, and you'll wait a _long_ time.

BTW, my experiences with Harrison and Harrison filters has been
terrible. I had a couple of theirs, found they were bad, and checked
a local camera store for the quality of the ones they had. I don't
think I found one good one among about 50. The surfaces weren't
parallel. This defect is least important with normal lenses, and gets
more and more important the wider or longer you go, but it's bad in
any case.

This was in the mid-70's, so maybe they got their act together even
though at that time they also were the major supplier to the movie
industry.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design