Subject: [Leica] 6 bit coding for m8 lenses; Sharpie?
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Tue Mar 13 07:19:56 2007

I had the 35mm coded, but I will wait until I see the result of using the
filters on the balance of the lenses.  From my results on a 17-55 Nikon
lens, the IR magenta case doesn't show up until you are at 21mm and below.
At 17mm it is pronounced.

For the Noctilux, the vignetting issue seems to be gone since the smaller
sensor has taken only the "sweet spot" where vignetting is not noticeable.

For the Tri-Elmar, I plan on waiting to see whether it needs it.  I don't
know whether the camera is able to detect which of the three focal lengths
is dialed in, so why bother with the coding?

Has anyone had luck with the Sharpie method of coding?

Can we start a petition to ask Leica to put manual coding into the next
firmware upgrade?

Bob Rose

Message: 18