Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Falls Off?
From: vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko)
Date: Sat Mar 10 16:39:15 2007

Greg

Are the lens barrel, focus and aperture rings still aluminum?  Or does it
look like they've gone to plastic?  It isn't any cheaper to make a poor
aluminum ring of complex shape with ridges and features, than it is to make
a high quality one.  The machining cost is the same on CNC machinery;
perhaps the anodizing and surface finishing is where the cost difference
comes in.

And a plastic vs metal lens cap might not be a great price difference when
considering the cost of tooling to for an injected plastic part vs stamp and
finish a metal part.

I thought when I bought a new 50f2.8, the cap felt like plastic.  I think
the standard cap for 39mm lenses was introduced in plastic a few years ago
with the new 50/2.8.

But good to hear that the imaging qualities are still stellar.  But that's
not the only reason to buy Leica lenses, is it?  If imaging quality were the
only reason, we'd be buying Cosina and Zeiss.

Vick