Subject: [Leica] Leica Quality Falls Off?
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Sat Mar 10 16:27:43 2007

I picked up the latest 28/2.8 lens last Saturday. This lens reminds me very
much of my 35/2.0 Summicron lens from 1983. More importantly the new 28 is
compact and produces stellar images. However, build quality seems to have
fallen off; lens barrel, focus and aperture rings are not up to past Leica
standards. The lens cap is plastic. It is not the plastic cap you get with
the current 50/1.4 but a black plastic copy of the old polished metal caps
that Leica provided for years for 39mm lenses.

My theory on this is the appearance a year and a half ago of the Zeiss M
Mount lenses for prices 60% of then current Leica lens prices has resulted
in a decision to provide the usual excellent optics whilst saving a few
bucks on construction. This allows Leica to offer their new 28/2.8 lens at a
price more competive to Zeiss.

Greg J. Lorenzo
Calgary, Alberta

Replies: Reply from eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi) ([Leica] Leica Quality Falls Off?)