Subject: [Leica] Re: Supersize me
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Tue Mar 6 19:28:28 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 8:32 PM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Here's an toast of some "inner aisle" California red wine to ya'
> Tina! Can I have some ice cream later?
> Gary Todoroff
>
> At 04:56 PM 03/06/07, you wrote:
>> At 07:08 PM 3/6/2007, you wrote:
>>> But the real killers are in the supermarket aisles. They make the
>>> fast
>>> food outlets look like pikers.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> The best policy is to shop the "outside" aisles.  Only the produce,
>> fresh meat and seafood, and dairy.  Avoid all of the packaged meals,
>> carbohydrates, and sugars lurking in those inside aisles.  I just
>> bought groceries today and nothing was in a package or box.  I never
>> buy anything that has any type of sugar or especially high fructose
>> corn syrup listed in the ingredients.  It takes a lot longer to read
>> all of the labels but it's worth it.
>>
>> Tina

Tina is right about the lower calorie foods being located on the
outside aisles of supermarkets. Supermarket designers and art museum
curators (my wife is one) are well aware of the right turning
tendency of shoppers and museum visitors. After entering the door,
most visitors turn right and proceed in a counter clockwise direction
around the facility. Supermarkets put the quick purchase necessities
like milk, eggs, bread, etc. on the far left outside aisle so the
prospective purchaser has to tour around the entire store to get to
the stuff he/she came for. Who knows how many impulse items are
bought by hungry consumers on the way to pick up a bottle of milk?
Paintings are hung in art museums on the assumption that visitors
will proceed in a similar counter clockwise direction.

Curiously the big Tesco's supermarket where I used to shop in Wales
was laid out in exactly the opposite manner. The Brits shop in
reverse as well as drive on the wrong side of the road.

Regrettably wine is not sold in supermarkets in New York State.
Certainly not California wine. Not even New York State wine.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: Supersize me)
Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Re: Supersize me)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: Supersize me)