Subject: [Leica] Working with the M8--- Not Given the Chance
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Feb 27 16:28:08 2007

At 12:00 AM +0000 2/28/07, grduprey@mchsi.com wrote:
>Hi Alastair,
>
>Good to hear the replacement is working ok.  I just got my UV/IR
>filters, that I ordered locally today.  However since I have not
>seen the magenta effect that much, I'm wondering if I should just
>stuff them into the bag and wait for the need, or just put them on
>the lenses.  They do have an interesting tint from the side, but
>from straight on no tint.  I still find myself worrying about
>shooting to much 'Film', so have not fallen to the digital shoot
>wildly syndrome.  ;-)  I do need to shoot more though, If this
>weather will only clear up so I can go outside.  But we are
>expecting another big storm starting sometime tomorrow.
>
>Gene

Gene, you should just take a number of shots with and without the
filters. That's really the only way you'll see what they do.

In my estimation when shooting colour, for 50% of the shots, and
that's including a lot of outdoors stuff, the filters are needed.

Now I only need a simpler way to get rid of the cyan cast in the
corners with wide lenses. I haven't really gotten to grips yet with
the 12 CV; without the filter the colours are wrong but with the
filter it's hard to fix the cyan without introducing other errors. I
would hate to lose the use of this lens.

As with other systems, I'm also finding that some lenses which work
well with film don't necessarily do so with the M8. I don't have any
Zeiss lenses, but the CV don't fare as well in some instances. More
trial is needed.

With film, I usually ran some rolls through the camera with a new
lens to find out what it could do and what were its limitations, and
then didn't test anymore. With digital, I now have to do that all
again with all my lenses. It's fairly easy with digital and much more
immediate, but it still takes time. If I don't do it I can't predict
what the lens will do, or if I can trust it for certain things. The
filter thing is just one of them. This will also be easier once I get
all the filters in the next weeks. Shuffling my one 77mm filter
around to the various lenses of over 46mm thread is a pain.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Working with the M8--- Not Given the Chance)