Subject: [Leica] IMG: more panoramas with a hacked up Kodak
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Philip Forrest)
Date: Sat Feb 3 09:35:27 2007

I had the meniscus lens version of the 2C.  There were supposedly two
different 2C's and a bunch of variations on the 1A and 3A.  There is very
little information out there about the actual focal length and aperture
settings of the meniscus lens in ball bearing shutter.  I found a site that
posted a Kodak 2C advertisement with both versions featured.  One was the
Anastigmat f/7.7 lens, the other the meniscus.  The only data on the
meniscus lens was that it was 5.5 inches in focal length which was closely
corroborated by measuring the diagonal.  After that, I calculated the
physical diameter of the aperture based upon the focal length and format,
then took out the micrometer & measured out today's standard apertures.  The
meniscus lens was actually a measured f/11 wide open to f/70 closed.
The 130 format of the 2C was just slightly smaller than 4x5 while the 122
format of the 3A was larger in the long axis by over 1/2 inch.  The 3A will
expose a 6x14 negative and it has just over 10mm of front standard rise.
Definitely a benefit for taking vertical panoramics in a city with tall
buildings.
My bellows is developing some holes at the folds, but I've treated it with a
compound that a friend of mine uses to restore and preserve leather bound
books.  I would like to get/make a new bellows for the camera though to give
it a new lease on life.

Phil