Subject: [Leica] photoshop CS3 stuff
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Feb 1 12:17:59 2007

Lightroom and Aperture are about workflow, Robert. The tasks you
assign to Photo Mechanic would be taken over by either of these
programs. They provide a powerful set of tools for quickly looking
through your images, sorting them into some sort of order, selecting
the images that are the ones you want to work with further, and
applying a wide variety of meta-data to those images in addition to
those written in by the camera/scanner/whatever.

They really shine when you begin to apply your own meta-data to them.
Maybe you chose to have a keyword for dogs with a heirarchy of
keywords such as puppy, combos, play, formal, exhibitions, inside,
outside. You can apply all of these to images quickly and easily. THEN
say three months from now you can ask to find all puppy images playing
outside and have them retrieved for you to browse through.

The images themselves, the masters, can reside where ever you like.
Both Aperture and Lightroom allow you to either use a central database
holding the master image, or to keep that image in a location where
you desire, either on-line or off-line. They do keep thumbnails of
some degree to make it easy to look at off-line images.

Both programs allow for non-destructive editing of the image. You can
apply changes in terms of sharpening, RAW conversion, B&W conversion
and the original master image remains unchanged, the operations being
required to manipulate the image being stored as a list of operations
that the software can VERY QUICKLY apply to your image. (This is why
having a fast graphics card is very important.)

If you want to use Photoshop on an image to do things that cannot be
down within the program itself, then you can spawn a new version and
send it off to PS to be worked and, the new image imported back in for
you and tracked. It's all VERY slick. (Takes LOTS of memory too. I
have 4GB and it's about right.)

Hope this helps give a sense of what they do.

If you want an overview of Aperture you can look to the Apple site -
there are some excellent video introductions to why you'd use
Aperture. I'll bet Adobe has the same for Lightroom.

Adam