Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Feb 1 11:55:55 2007

But this would be a machine whose video card uses some of main memory
for its work, I'm betting. And for photographic use 250 GB hard drive
is a drop in the bucket.

If you're going to do serious work you need a video card worth its
salt: good on-board memory and video processing. NOT a gamer's card
because that's overkill unless you want to run DOOM at 120fps or
something. But you want the card to have extensive on-board memory and
an instruction set that the OS knows how to use to off-load screen
graphics things and compositing.

I don't now if LIghtroom uses the video card if it can. I know that
Aperture does it extensively. I recall that Vista requires an upscale
graphics card if you want to use its live compositing features in
something like the (is it Aero?) user experience. The Mac also does
its compositing on the graphics card if it can to great effect.

There ain't no free lunches out there so be aware of the issues if you
go out to purchase a new system.

I'm not a big fan of custom built solutions. If you DO go that route
get a feeling for the history of the shop and try to have a warm fuzzy
feeling that it'll be there next year when something dies. Buying from
HP or Dell or Apple you have a feeling they're going to be around and
that they'll support their product under warranty as required.

I've had VERY positive response from Apple on the few warranty issues
I've had over the past couple of years. I have no experience with Dell
or HP.

I had a PC system built for me back when Apple bought NeXT so I could
run a version of NeXTSTEP that Apple distributed. The specs were for a
high-end system (at the time). Now a nephew uses it to run Linux as
his movie server or something. I never felt really good about the
system. On the other hand my quad G5 is like houses.

Adam