Subject: [Leica] Re:M8 issues
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Jan 28 21:27:52 2007

At 4:17 PM -0800 1/28/07, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:
>Nice! But a virtually irrelevant test. In the
>usual shooting situation, the average working
>distance is usually within 15 feet. Those that
>need to reach out for a closer shot, such as the
>sports photographers, usually use ED, etc,
>optics with vibration reduction.
>Now for critical digital landscapes, as it was
>practiced very early on by large format
>photographers, one used the camera as a scanner
>attached to a laptop. 200 to 400 megabyte files
>for one shot, with multiple (layers) exposures,
>tended to be the norm. The files are larger now.
>
>s.d.

Possibly the M8 was never intended to replace an
EOS IDII with 600/4 IS, or a view camera with a
Betterlight back....

It won't even challenge a Seitz 6x17:

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

(note that it's half a meter wide).

Although personally, if I could get a 6x17 like
this for the price of an M8, I'd not mind if I
had to find IR hot filters to make it work.