Subject: [Leica] LUG Book Update, and a Question for the Contributors
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Fri Jan 26 15:32:16 2007

Jim,
It seems me a very good idea!

Saludos cordiales
Luis

-----Mensaje original-----
De: lug-bounces+luisripoll=telefonica.net@leica-users.org
Jim Shulman
Enviado el: viernes, 26 de enero de 2007 22:26
Para: 'Leica Users Group'

Evidently the success of the LUG book continues, according to blurb.com.
It's one of their all-time successes, but what they find most interesting is
the concept of a collective book effort from a diverse (and widely
dispersed) group.

Today I was asked by blurb.com if I would like to be interviewed by NPR
(National Public Radio) about the LUG blurb.com project.  I said I'd be
thrilled to describe the group, the project, and the confluence of
technologies (high-speed web, digital imaging, and digital color printing).

Blurb.com noted that there would likely be a spike of interest in the book
and, "you might have a lot more people buying the book, which would make you
more money."

Ah, there's the rub.  The whole project has only been intended to be a
non-profit activity.  I mentioned that to blurb.com (and think that they
were a bit surprised.)

So, I have a suggestion for the group.  For the past week or so we've been
discussing the ethics of photographing the homeless.  If there's an
opportunity to sell books, why not donate the proceeds for homeless
services?

Looking at this optimistically, we might be able to raise a few hundred
dollars from book sales (fifty more copies would probably be VERY
optimistic).  For that reason, the donation would have the greatest impact
going to one organization.

My suggestion is that the profits go to Project H.O.M.E., a Philadelphia
organization that's been providing housing, medical and vocational
assistance to homeless women since 1989.  You can see more information about
Project H.O.M.E. at http://www.projecthome.org/

If there are no objections about this from the book's photographers, I will
change the retail price to $60 hardcover/$50 paperback on February 1, with
profits going to Project H.O.M.E. That gives anyone on the LUG who hasn't
ordered a copy a few days to do so for at-cost rates.  I will also ask
blurb.com to donate their profits from the book sale for this as well (the
PR alone should more than compensate them for the loss of LUG book profits.)

And again, apologies to all who had to suffer through blurb.com's
still-creaky fulfillment process. Evidently the finished product was worth
the wait.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA