Subject: [Leica] My M8 is ready to ship
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Wed Jan 24 14:29:55 2007

At 11:30 AM 1/24/2007, you wrote:
>I'm in the last camp.  One of the joys of M photography is being able  to
>shoot without much reaction from your subject.  I'm not sure I
>could  stand the
>whir of the shutter wind.  I hate the click-clack of my K10d  shutter.  Most
>other things about it's performance, I love, but I long to  be
>shooting with my
>little Summicron, and the jewel of a 21 CV.

Sonny - I think the noise of the M8 has been greatly
exaggerated.  People are comparing it to the film M's and not to
digital SLRs.  It is much quieter than my Canon's.  I can still use
it without anybody noticing. The high ISOs I'm working around by
underexposing lower ISOs.  The problems with the IR are valid.  Some
experts who know more than I do have said that the lack of the
built-in IR filter results in a better RAW file.  I think the ability
to use the filters on the lenses is a good compromise, even though I
hate filters.  In the meantime, until I get the filters,  I'm using
the M8 a lot for B&W.  Do I wish the M8 didn't have these
problems?  Yes.  Would I buy it again? Yes. I'm back to using a small
quiet rangefinder with my wonderful Leica M lenses.  I've missed that
so much!  I'm leaving for Portugal on Friday and, if I had two M8's
they would be the only two cameras I'd take.  Since I only have one,
I'm taking the Canon 5D as back-up.  That means extra batteries,
different battery chargers, different card readers, many more lenses
- a whole extra suitcase of camera equipment!  Sigh.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] My M8 is ready to ship)