Subject: [Leica] My M8 is ready to ship
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 08:30:16 2007

In a message dated 1/24/2007 10:11:01 A.M. Central Standard Time,
imagist3@mac.com writes:

Others  find the quirks unacceptable. The
difficulty lies in determining  which you will be -

I'm in the last camp.  One of the joys of M photography is being able  to
shoot without much reaction from your subject.  I'm not sure I could  stand
the
whir of the shutter wind.  I hate the click-clack of my K10d  shutter.  Most
other things about it's performance, I love, but I long to  be shooting with
my
little Summicron, and the jewel of a 21 CV.

I am not at all worried by the M8 magenta cast to synthetics, but the
rather
poor performance at high ISO's is a problem to me; likewise, the
performance
in candlelight.

How would the extraordinary firelight of Tina's recent submissions would
have looked on the M8.  My guess is not that great.

I could afford the entrance price to the M8, but only because I've recently
shed some other gear in anticipation of getting one.  But when the quirks
started happening, I was dismayed, and now feel reluctant to dive in.

I forgave my M6 for arriving with a faulty film counter.  That was the  only
brand-new piece of Leica I've ever owned.  Most of the rest has  been
purchased from LUGgers or LHSA members.

You know, we lived with an ugly kitchen floor for several years, and when
we
finally had the spare change to replace it, we went with a ceramic. That
lasted about a week before the joints started giving.  It was a bad job by
the
installers.  It all had to come up, and we had to wait while the new
materials
arrived before we had a floor that was not our first choice.

Today the kitchen looks great, but I am disappointed it did not turn out
the
way we planned.

I'd hate to feel the same way about a nearly $5000 investment in an  M8.

Waiting and  watching,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com
Natchitoches, Louisiana
Oldest  continuous settlement in La Louisiane
?galit?, libert?,  crawfish

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] My M8 is ready to ship)