Subject: [Leica] Breaking the tape for Ted, M8 battery woes...
From: larry.k at rcn.com (Larry Kellogg)
Date: Mon Jan 22 18:42:50 2007

> Depends on the temperature, but ALL batteries fail when it gets cold.
>
> With my R8+DMR, I do fine down to -10C (25F) but at -18C (0F) or so, a
> battery is good for a bout 15 minutes before it dies.  It really depends
> on how long you can keep it warm.

  For the record, it wasn't that cold on the day of the race,

>From the race results website:

 NYRR Fred Lebow Classic

Distance:  5.0 Miles, 8.0 Kilometers
Date/Time:  Jan. 7, 2007, 9:00 am
Location:  Central Park, NYC
Weather:  44 Deg. 51% Hum. Wind 17mph

  44 degrees!!! It certainly wasn't down to freezing. I think the battery on
the M8 is close to the bottom of the camera and is more sensitive to cold
than if it were somehow buried more deeply in the camera. Does that
magnesium body hold more cold than would a plastic body?

  Thanks for the tips.

  Regards,

  Larry