Subject: [Leica] A Mark Rabiner sighting in Manhattan
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Sun Nov 12 08:09:16 2006

Hello,
 Yesterday, after getting more frustrated about the M8 "purple" problems, I
headed out into the streets of New York to take a few shots. I haven't
returned
the camera to the dealer, I am waiting for an announcement from Leica on how
they're going to address all of the issues with the camera.

  Anyway, on my way back home I stopped at the Bryant Park skating rink to
take a fews shots with the new camera. I noticed someone standing next to me
with a Bessa and asked the guy if it was a rangefinder. His response was
that it
was a rangefinder without the rangefinder mechanism!

  So, this was how I met Mark Rabiner, one of the members of the LUG. I
don't
know why I haven't joined this list earlier, perhaps because I owned the
R-D1 for
the last couple of years, and well, it isn't a Leica! I follow
www.rangefinderforum.com and http://www.leica-camera-user.com/digital-
forum/

  What are the odds of running into another rangefinder user on the island
of
Manhattan? It was a pleasure to meet Mark and I hope we have a chance to go
out shooting in the future. I think I could learn a lot from him.

  Here are just a few shots:

  http://tinyurl.com/ymqota

  You can find other M8 shots at the top of the pages. I was amazed with the
results from Central Park.

  Mark said his portrait was kind of "demonic" looking...something out of
"The
Shining" perhaps? ;-)

   All of these shots were taken with the 50mm Lux. I'm not consistently
nailing
focus with it. I ordered one of the 1.25x magnifiers but can't use it
because it is
missing the little rubber ring and I don't want to scratch my glasses! My
Leica
dealer didn't have the rubber ring so I have to wait for it...

  Regards,

  Larry

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] A Mark Rabiner sighting in Manhattan)
Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] A Mark Rabiner sighting in Manhattan)