Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Fri Jan 19 20:33:46 2007

On 20/01/2007, at 14:32, Kyle Cassidy wrote:

>> Loved your homeless
>> cat photograph though, that was a cool shot. Of course, Americans
>> tend to have
>> more pity for homeless animals than homeless people, but that is
>> another story.
>
> for the record, americans do NOT pity homeless animals, they EAT them.
>
>> I'm not so fond of your gun nuts of america series, but we're all
>> entitled to our
>> opinions, armed or unarmed, I think.
>
> as far as i know, i haven't expressed any opinions about americans
> and their guns. (and if i have expressed an opinion, it's a failing
> of mine.) it's only been my intention to make good portraits. i
> don't particularly have an opinion about their guns, but i hope,
> seriously, that i've portrayed them honestly. i want everyone to
> have and to express their opinions about it, whatever side, and, if
> i've done it properly, nobody knows what my own thoughts are.
> though i've gotten quite my share of hate mail from both sides.

I think your images are a tribute to unbiased documentation. BUT if
you choose a political hot cake, of course people will read their own
problems into your work. Some will say you have glorified them,
others will feel you are poking fun, but the shots I've seen are nice
portraits in homely environments, that sometimes say a lot about the
people. If they believe in what they do, I cannot think they would
feel belittled by the results, and by the same token, for those of us
who do not believe in guns they show us how ordinary many of the folk
who do really are.

I really like this project, though it is not one I could do (prone to
opening the old mouth too often I'm afraid ;-)

Cheers

Alastair