Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 20:07:17 2007

  I can respect this, it sounds like you're approaching your photography as
craft and not trying to put your own opinions into your shots. Maybe some of
your opinions come out in the shots anyway, or maybe you can be a perfect
cipher with regards to your opinions on the subject matter. As others have
mentioned, I'm sure it is a difficult thing to do.

  That KKK shot is chilling but almost as much of a cliche as a your typical
homeless shot. I would expect to see the guy's face like that when he is
spewing
out his message of hate. Then again, maybe he trying to sell used cars, who
knows?  I think a far more effective shot would show the guy in his robes,
smiling and hugging his grandchildren.

  Larry

----------
as far as i know, i haven't expressed any opinions about americans and their
guns. (and if i have expressed an opinion, it's a failing of mine.) it's
only been
my intention to make good portraits. i don't particularly have an opinion
about
their guns, but i hope, seriously, that i've portrayed them honestly. i want
everyone to have and to express their opinions about it, whatever side, and,
if
i've done it properly, nobody knows what my own thoughts are. though i've
gotten quite my share of hate mail from both sides.

kc

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([leica] photographing the homeless)