Subject: [Leica] LUG 2006 Yearbook--and Four Simple Rules for the 2007 Edition
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Mon Jan 15 21:51:22 2007

Many, many thanks for the cascade of wonderful comments about the book.  I'm
really thrilled that this effort touched a chord among LUG members.

To those who marveled at my layout abilities, much appreciated--and once
again let me assure you that the blurb.com templates were extremely simple
to use.  The only issue was juggling the images and captions; however, after
a fifteen year career in direct mail, balancing a staff that produced six
million catalogs a year, in eighteen variations, along with about 100
magazine ads at any given time, this project was almost a picnic.

So first, I expect several of you to follow my suggestion in the forward:
let a thousand photo books bloom.  I hope this project convinces LUGgers to
create their own books.  For one, I'd be more than thrilled to purchase a
Doug Herr wildlife book, or a GeeBee Northhamptonshire book, or an H. Arche
book, or...the list is almost endless.  Certainly there's no lack of talent.

And yes, since there's been so much enthusiastic comment (and since the
production cost is zip) I'll be happy to create a 2007 edition.

However, here are FOUR SIMPLE RULES FOR THE 2007 YEARBOOK, WELL IN ADVANCE.
Please review these carefully.

1. For the next yearbook, please send only images taken during 2007--Jan 1
until I start gathering the pictures in mid-December.  Since we're looking
at year two, might as well make this a genuine yearbook and stick to
material from the year.  Once again, use any camera you like, from pinhole
to M8.  Of course, this does give you eleven months to make images with a
Leica.

2. DO NOT SEND ME IMAGES UNTIL I REQUEST THEM IN DECEMBER!  I don't want my
server to turn into the Bettmann Archive. If I receive anything earlier,
they may be misplaced, deleted, etc.  The project is only manageable if I
can juggle all this information at one limited time.

3. No more than two images per person, please. Images must be at least one
meg .jpg files. Larger is fine, but no smaller. You now have eleven months
to convert your 2007 film images to .jpg files.

4. Images sent to me in December 2007 MUST include an additional image: your
headshot.  Next year I want to assemble a picture gallery of contributors.
Unfortunately, only about five LUGgers did so this time, which is why we
didn't have a LUG gallery in the book. You have been forewarned.  That gives
you plenty of time to be photographed behind mirror images, Halloween masks,
Mardi Gras masks, leather bustiers, and anything else to conceal the shy.

And I'll repeat the four rules a few times throughout the year, so there's
fair warning for those who read the digest every quarter or so.

Best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] LUG 2006 Yearbook--and Four Simple Rules for the 2007 Edition)