Subject: [Leica] Nikkor 50/1.4 LTM
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Jan 15 21:43:29 2007

Peter and Luis:  Both the Nikkor and Canon are Sonnar derivatives.  AFAIK,
the f/1.5 versions are closer to the original Sonnar design.  Especially
the Canon.  Some people think that the 50/1.5 Canon is a better Sonnar than
the Sonnar, due to coatings and chrome/brass construction.

The f/1.4 versions show the stamp of some new design considerations by the
Japanese companies.  The Canon is optimized for the traditional middle
distance, middle aperture.  It's higher contrast than the Nikkor.  What's
new is the optimizing for contrast of the details you can see, perhaps at
the expense of the really fine stuff--what we came to know as the Japanese
way, contra Leica.  Now the Nikkor is higher resolution, and optimized for
close-in and wide open.  Optimized for photojournalism.  The price you pay
is that the corners are always a little unsharp.  Again, contra Leica of
that time, but in a different way.

Those Who Supposedly Know Such Things say that the 50/1.4 Nikkor was the
best 50/1.4 lens available until the second version Summilux surpassed it
in the early 60s.

See Dante Stellas article on the two companies' Sonnar derivatives for
details.
http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html

There is also an old "Viewfinder" article on the Nikkor, which you can read
on the LHSA DVD: "Legendary Leica Lenses, the 50mm f/1.4 Nikkor," by Dick
Gelcreast.  I have a paper copy, but it doesn't have any mention of the
issue date.

Several Luggers have used these lenses.  I know Kyle Cassidy used to use a
fast Canon 50, I believe the f/1.4, perhaps he can chime in.  Bill Clough
has posted many shots with the 50/1.4 Nikkor.

I happily used a 50/1.4 Nikkor for years.  I sold it a few years ago for
about $350.  The reason I sold it was that the VC 50/1.5 Nokton I acquired
was much better wide open.

Here are a few of my shots with the 50/1.4 Nikkor. The first 3 (B&W) are
wide open or nearly so:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/claire_surreal.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/currentpics/paula_harpo.htm
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/marianne.jpg