Subject: [Leica] M8 grab shot
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Jan 14 16:42:16 2007

On the magenta cast has anyone tried going command U saturation and command
6 magenta and just de saturating the magenta? Like all of it?  I do that all
the time to picture which don't even need it. Black and whites even.

Its taken out any magenta cast I've ever seen. Which I get with any camera
I'll use or scans on many an occasion.

I always go "do I need Magenta?" Seldom the answer is yes.
Seldom had a picture suffered by having its magenta de saturated to the max.
Plenty of red left over.

Also when you open an image in Photoshop or bridge the raw filter the Tint
slider is the second one down from the top right under temperature.
Slide it to the left and there goes your magenta.
That's another quick and definite fix to any image which has a magenta cast.

As far as I'm concerned with these controls the only thing with a magenta
cast is the monitor on the back of the camera

And no such an approach would not work if you or I were shooting a clothing
catalog.
But I'd have a tethered to laptop or main frame situation on that with
software designated and better implemented for such purposes.

Now having just see the shot of the fire engine for the first time I don't
even think there is a magenta cast there is think its a lack of  yellow
which makes things which should look red (in the night) look magenta.

Anyway this is colored lights shining into the camera!!!
What color the lights were is anyone's guess!
But I think red and the shots needs lots of yellow.

Looking at the image in Photoshop and even doing the ring around thing;
variations its not a red fire truck.
Its a magenta one.
The shot needs yellow.
Put yellow in and to me it looks nicer.
Although tungsten lit.
But you could fine tune it. I just added yellow to the mid tones. Not
shadows which could easily have worked better. Then fix highlights.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W