Subject: [Leica] Re: RF / SLR
From: jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith)
Date: Sat Jan 13 07:16:54 2007

While I like the MP over the M6, I'm not sure that these latter-day
modifications are enough to sell more rangefinder cameras. The M7 did fill a
niche, but the MP was, to me, their last hurrah in rangefinders...sort of a
"here's the best RF we have ever made...please use it to remember us". I
don't see any more film rangefinders coming out of the Leica camp.

What killed the rangefinder in the first place? The convenience of
autofocus. And when I chat with other members of the New Orleans Photo
Alliance, the 35mm users invariably use digital SLRs. Chris Williams, Dennis
Couvillion, and I are all known as the crackpots with Leicas. I walked into
Dennis Couvillion's gallery opening last Saturday night and got a "what the
hell is that" when they saw a 50/1.2 Hexanon mounted on an M5. As John
suggested, the pros down here don't use 35mm much any more. If they want to
shoot with something portable, it's a Canon SLR or a Nikon SLR with a big
fat zoom on it. Everything else is pretty much medium or large format.

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/