Subject: [Leica] RE: Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM
From: wtorry at (Wayne Torry)
Date: Thu Jan 11 16:19:54 2007

Message: 17

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 23:51:40 +0100

From: "Luis Ripoll" <>

Subject: [Leica] Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM?

To: "'Leica Users Group'" <>

Some days ago I've saw in e-bay this lens, it is with Leica screw, is a

nice lens that it seems Nikon has produced not a big quantity to compete

with Leica, I have heard that contrast was stronger against the
smoothnes of

the Leica lenses.

Are there any experiences or opinions in the LUG?

Saludos cordiales

I have owned my copy of this lens since the 1970s. I have not used it as
much as I should. It is very well made. It is very solid. For a 1.4
lens, it is smaller and lighter than my Leica DR 50mm Summicron. It uses
43mm filters.

It probably isn't a great lens at 1.4. Useful, but not great. At 1.8 or
2.0 and beyond, it is a very nice lens.

A sample at 1.4 in my gallery:

You will find a lot of discussion and many examples from this fine lens
at the Rangefinder Forum.

In closing, I like this lens. I made a promise to myself to use it a lot
in 2007. It got very lonely sitting on a shelf for 30+ years.

All the best,