Subject: [Leica] My Yearbooks Arrived Today
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Thu Jan 11 12:33:18 2007

Ted,

Many thanks for the kind words.  Coming from you--one who's been though more
than his share of photo book projects--it's wonderful praise.  I'm thrilled
that you like it.

Only thought is that the CEO of Leica probably could give a rat's rear about
this project, for several reasons. Judging from their recent advertising,
Leica's trying to appeal to "lifestyle" sales, where a Leica is as important
to a luxury lifestyle as a Rolex or 7-Series BMW. It's camera as jewelry or
stage prop.

For much of the LUG, a Leica purchase is hardly a lifestyle frill.  It's a
very difficult purchase decision, often requiring some not inconsiderable
sacrifice.  The unique qualities of Leica as an important photographic tool
seems to be the common thread among this group.  Well, that and roux.

The book also shows a major flaw in Leica's market position: many of the
shots were made with non-Solms digital cameras, reflecting Leica's difficult
transition as the film era wanes.  Even the Leica devotees have been veering
away from Solms equipment.  If I were the CEO of Leica, and saw that 25-40%
(I didn't count exactly) of the images in a Leica Users Group book came from
non-Leitz equipment, I'd be quite concerned.

Fifteen years ago the contents of a LUG book would probably have been nearly
all from Leica cameras.  Of course, as I noted in my book preface, the LUG
book would never have existed with the technology of 1992.

All best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA