Subject: [Leica] OT Mongolia Trip
From: alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex)
Date: Thu Jan 11 05:29:09 2007

My take to this kind of trips elabotes down to few questions:
1. Is this family-type trip (so your family, kids are with you) or
photographic-subjected mainly ?
2. If the asnwer to 1. is the latter one, is trip grouped/quided one
where the majority of the participant aren't really photographic-inclined ?

Bearing family trip or grouped/non-photographic-inclined - I would
proceed the eaier way - take your RF with 2-3 lenses and a bunch of
slide film with some B&W for people-reach situations (slide will serve
landscapes). DSLR may also suit but I can imagine to be a greater burden
due to size/weight and may or may not really suit your people (local
stranges) approach situations. Besides I do not shoot digital at all, so
may be somewhat biased here.. ;-)
However, in the case of purely photographic tour (the best case :-) ) -
my LF (4x5) comprizing a reasonable field folding 4x5 camera with 2
lenses, some humble accessories, 10 holders and about 100 sheets (for 10
days up to 2 weeks trip), all that backed up with your reliable RF
followed with 1-2 lenses, slide and B&W films will round off yoru
backpack nicely without much breaking your back.]
My entire field 4x5 setup as mentioned with my M6 and one lens, all in a
comfortable (though large) backpack weights less then my former pro-kind
Canon SLR setup I used to lug in every and single strool and trip
seriously underusing them due to various real-time constrains. Of
course, my heavy old Manfrotto tripod goes withme as default (can be
securely strapped to my backpack.

About a year ago I was managing a local high-demanding (in physical
matter) photo walk with few of my photo buddies - about 5-7 km of hard,
full of rocks and mini-cliffs climbing and  to may dismay I stuffed my
backpack with full featured 4x5 and Canon SLR setup + tripod - it was
probably the most sore experience in my photo-trekking life (not that
extensive so far though).
Albeit I do not moaning to my physical condition and in general I would
cosnider myself as in good and reasonably trained physical shape, that
time I felt as kind of beginner's navy seals introduction course...
Needless to say, much less sheets were shot that day then can be
anticipated....LOL but learn a good experience (also served as an
excellent physical challange I would otherwise glad to put myself
through just to test my physical abilities)...

Best, Alex