Subject: [Leica] Wireless Question
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jan 7 22:10:02 2007

At 12:01 AM 1/8/2007, Brian Reid wrote:

 >Both the Apple Airport device and the Linksys router are quite capable
 >of launching and maintaining ISP connections entirely on their own.
 >They just have to be told to do it, which, alas, requires actual
 >reading of actual documentation.
 >
 >The right way to think about these devices is quite simple. The DSL or
 >cablemodem provides a connection for one computer. These devices have
 >an "inside" and an "outside". On the outside, they connct to the DSL
 >or cablemodem and pretend to be a computer; on the inside, they offer
 >connections to your computers and pretend to be your ISP. Those inside
 >connections can be either wired or wireless. The Apple device has one
 >wired connection and can do 12 wireless; the Linksys device has four wired
 >connections and can do 11 wireless.
 >
 >If it is not configured properly, it is quite possible that it needs
 >at least one computer connected on the inside.
 >
 >Despite being a Mac user and Apple bigot, I am a big fan of Linksys
 >and tell all of my friends and relatives to buy them. My current
 >favorite is the WRT54G.
 >
 >A brand new Linksys WRT54G router can be had for about US$55 pretty
 >much anywhere in North America, and it comes with the ability to
 >configure itself automatically for nearly every ISP and cable company.
 >If I were charged with solving this problem, I would value my time at
 >$60/hour, assume that it would take me more than one hour to diagnose
 >and repair the configuraton problem, and treat the thing as
 >disposable. The "setup wizard" that ships with modern Linksys routers
 >is worth its weight in
 >gold.

I'm mostly with Brian.  I have had horrible
problems with Linksys modems but these eventually
were resolved when I finally, as Brian said, read
the documentation and thought about what it was
telling me to do.  (This was telling me to power
everything down, then power back up, starting
with the cable modem, then with the various
computers.  Voila!  The system did produce those
magic numbers and all computers clicked into
place.  We never did get our printers and
scanners on the system, but that wasn't vital, as
I'm awash in scanners and printers and so be it.

I also have little time for Mac.  I am forced to
use this gear on occasion, and I still feel that
it is the sort of goo-goo stuff suitable for very
young children and very old people.  The rest of
us, those who can think, are capable of using IBM
stuff.  I am NOT saying this to start a fight and
please do NOT rise to the bait:  we IBM users
have to hear constant honking denunciations from
the very young and the very old about how lousy
OUR gear is.  We keep our peace.  Please keep
yours.  I am mainly saying this to establish that
I live in a certifed Mac-Free Household.  (My
wife, who is a senior management nurse type in an
HMO, has never even used one save for a single
demo a decade or so back when she was a CNO of a
small hospital.  She lives, breathes, and works
IBM all the day long and often most of the night,
but Mac is not in her playlist.)  Again, I am NOT
trying to get a fight started.

After my wacky experience with Linksys (and Brian
was involved when we first were trying to set
this up, and his advice, to read the manual, was
vital!), I went to my Computer Guru and told him
that my wife wanted us to have a WIRELESS hookup
in our new home in Chester, VA.  He immediately
suggested a $65 D-Link wireless router.  The
following weekend I was in Chester and set up the
router and turned it on.  It ran fine.  Then I
hard-wired my wife's computer (a Pentium IV) into
it -- Tina, your "blue cable" -- and that worked
fine.  The following week, I brought down MY
computer with its yet-unused wireless card.  I
set it up.  I turned it on.  My wife's computer,
the hard-wired one, was turned off.  Mine
immediately found the wireless modem, did a
handshake, and we've been happily annoying the
LUG for four months or so on a wireless
hookup.  I now have my Pentium 2 computer here
but I've not yet found the box in which it is
hiding.  That one has a plug-in USB wireless
connection, and I'm curious as to whether that
will work when I set that one up downstairs.

A few side comments.  Laptops are all the rage
but they are not entirely satisfactory from my
experience as computers.  Their design requires
compromise, and many folks simply are not
interested in using them despite their sexy
appeal to those addicted to high-end TV
shows.  Some laptops have no issues with linking
up to a net, while others seem to be a bit more
conflicted.  And, as my wife reminds me whenever
she is forced to use hers, "the damn keyboard is
tiny and there's no number pad".  I escaped from
the laptop mania more than a decade ago.  Just be
careful about connectivity issues with some
laptops.  Some are easy, some are harder.  Yours
are Macs, Tina, and I suspect those have no such problems.

In summary:  your system should consist of a
cable modem supplied by your cable company.  To
this you connect a wireless modem, probably by a
coax cable.  This wireless modem will permit you
either to directly wire Ethernet-equipped
computers into it with the appropriate cables or
will allow computers with a wireless card to
connect with it.  There should be no need at all
for that hard-wired blue-cable computer to have
any role in this.  <sigh>  The Microsoft answer
would be:  power down in order, turning off the
items farthest from the cable modem first.  Once
everything is off, disconnect and deep-six the
blue-wired laptop.  Take the blue wire out of the
wireless router and mail the cable to a deserving party in India.

Then turn the power back on.  First, the cable
modem.  Then the wireless router.  Then your
outstation computers -- the ones hooked in by
wireless.  Wireless seems to work out to 100
meters (330 feet or so) without much problem
though it can get dicey beyond that.  I had some
fun the final few weeks in Roanoke when I was
trying to slip onto someone else's cable
connection with my Pentium 2.  I managed it a
couple of times, but it was shaky as the
daylights, and I never got it to support audio feeds.

I have no magic answers.  But I am sending you
this through a wireless connection, so it CAN
work.  And my wife's computer is off right now.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from cchan at pldtdsl.net (Nelson Chan) ([Leica] test pls ignore)
Message from hartzell at alerce.com (George Hartzell) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Wireless Question)
Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Wireless Question)