Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: lucien_vd at mac.com (lucien_vd@mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 09:08:12 2006

F?lix L?pez de Maturana wrote :

> After reading all these comment about this matter I still am in
> doubt about my Leica SF20. Will it be useful with my -coming soon-
> Leica M8 or I need another flash?. I know a Leica M is an available
> light camera but I just wish to fire, from time to time, with flash.
>
> Regards.
>
> Felix.

Dear Felix,

I think the answer is in the M8 instruction manual, downloadable here:

http://www.leica-camera.us/photography/m_system/m8/

I quote:

---
Compatible flash units

The following flash units, when used on the LEICA M8, are capable of
all the functions described in this manual:

? The LEICA SF 24D system flash unit (order no. 14 444). With its
compact size and design that matches the camera, is particularly
suitable. Thanks to its permanently attached flash foot with
additional control and signal contacts, which in automatic mode
transfer a range of data and settings, it is very easy to use.

? Flash units which satisfy the technical requirements for System
Camera Adaption (SCA) System 3000, are fitted with the SCA-3502/35011
adaptor, and which allow guide number control.
---

"and which allow guide number control" is what is important here.

Only the SF24D allows guide number control, not the SF20, even if the
M8 should have no use of the GN control because the focusing distance
is not transmitted by the M lenses.

AFAIK, the SF24D was designed with Digital camera in mind.

Best,

Lucien