Subject: [Leica] #229 - #231
From: graham at geebeespaw.freeserve.co.uk (GeeBee)
Date: Sat Dec 23 13:18:08 2006

From: "Leonard Taupier" <len-1@comcast.net>

Subject: Re: [Leica] #229 - #231

> Graham,
>
>You really got that Summitar
> earning it's keep. How is that lens at the larger openings? I need a
> new 50 for my new IIIf. My Elmar is getting a bit fungusy.
>
> Len

Hi Len,

I use the Summitar almost exclusively stopped down for maximum depth of
field and set to hyperfocal distance for landscapes. Edge
definition drops off if the content at the edges is more than 10-12ft away.
I sometimes apply a little extra sharpening at the
edges if it is particularly noticeable. For example skeletal trees on the
horizon look soft if they are at the edge of the frame
whereas the sky doesn't show the fall off.

I rarely use it wide open but I did take a test shot the day it arrived at
my workplace and I would guess that this is 30th sec at
f2 or very near:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05270.htm

Another test shot, same lighting, same settings shot on the day it arrived
back with me after I had it CLA'd
http://www.geebeephoto.com/2006/06022.htm

I should point out that there are much better qualified people on this list
to tell you which lenses to go for or avoid as the
case may be.

Have fun with the IIIf :-)

--Graham

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] #229 - #231)