Subject: [Leica] LUG Yearbook As of This Morning
From: jshul at comcast.net (Jim Shulman)
Date: Tue Dec 19 08:05:21 2006

Ted,

There will always be those who take someone to task for stirring up matters.
Several years ago I was responsible for finding sponsors of a consultants
group's breakfasts.  Dozens of consultants would attend, and more than 200
belonged to the organization, but we had great difficulty in finding twelve
to sponsor.

After several polite appeals to the group, I sent out a mailing that said,
"It's you we beseech: please don't be a leech!" I went on to describe that
those who attend should be prepared to occasionally pony up for the group's
eats. Several folks sent me angry e-mails about what they perceived as an
insulting letter.  (Incidentally, those same people never spent a sou for
the group's activities.)  On the other hand, within two days of the mailing
I had more than a dozen offers of sponsorship, solving the problem.

Ted, if your entreaties to get LUGgers off their derrieres might have been
considered harsh by some, then so be it.  It evidently did the trick.  And
no animals were harmed in the making of this movie.

All best,
Jim Shulman
Bryn Mawr, PA