Subject: [Leica] LTM camera bodies
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Dec 17 17:18:01 2006

At 07:03 PM 12/17/2006, Leonard Taupier wrote:
 >Marc,
 >
 >That's probably good advice. What I might do is look for a nice IIIf
 >while I find a suitable repair shop. Actually I'm looking for a shop
 >now to clean up my 400 f5 Telyt. I had no intention to junking the
 >IIIc even if I didn't get it CLA'd.  I don't get rid of Leica gear,
 >especially the LTM gear. Actually my IIIc was made in 1946. I find
 >the IIIg's are over double the price of a nice IIIc or IIIf.

Leonard

There are a LOT of places which overhaul LTM
cameras and which are quite good at the job:  in
the US, there are at least four shops of
impeccable repute and probably a dozen more
capable places.  The only issue is the RF:  the
yellowing is almost certainly on the exterior
but, if it comes from some internal problem, then
the cost goes up though the repair can be had.

I just zapped briefly through completed eBay
auctions and you are right about pricing, though
a lot of the IIIg auctions ended as "reserve not
met".  In other words, sellers are still under
the impression that IIIg prices are at the level
they held in the early 1990's and the market is
not meeting their demands.  (I paid $425 or so
for my IIIg body, but I watched eBay for a year
or so before pouncing.)  In general, a IIIc in
user condition can be had for $250 or so, a IIIf
BD for $300, a IIIf RDST for $400, but the  basic
price of a IIIg does seem to hover around $800 or so.

Again, I'd overhaul your IIIc and be happy to do
so, but a IIIf RDST is a fine camera in all regards.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] LTM camera bodies)