Subject: [Leica] Regarding rainbows...
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Dec 17 16:31:49 2006

Oh yeah, thanks Doug, that's much clearer. Careful or we may alter the term
Dougness to mean
"providing intricate but dense detail"

"The ray theory of the rainbow can be neatly represented as polar
plots of the scattered intensity in different directions after one, two,
or more reflections. To calculate these, we combine Fresnel?s formulae
for the intensity of reflected and transmitted light [5] with
simple ray geometry for different angles of scattering. We obtain
the results shown in figure 5 for the scattered intensity for the two
polarizations of light. In these figures, we have light coming horizontally
from the left-hand side, incident on a raindrop at the
centre; the left-hand diagram corresponds to light polarized with
its electric field perpendicular to the plane of the diagram
(s-polarisation),
and on the right the electric field is in the plane
(p-polarisation).The large lobe to the right of the drop in both figures
represents light passing through the drop, refracted but
without any reflection. The primary bow corresponds to the singularity
in the scattering after one reflection at ?42? with respect to the
incident light, showing up very strongly in s-polarisation, but
much weaker in p-polarisation: the rainbow is strongly polarised."