Subject: [Leica] In Shock
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Dec 13 23:01:50 2006

Neal, I spent seven years in a camera shop, albeit well before the digital
tsunami struck. You're absolutely right regarding the
loss of that traditional consumer support. It seems to me that most of the
digital P&S & SLR cameras are marketed far more like
white goods or other semi-disposables.
I know this is not new.
As a significant consumer of good camera gear, I always try to buy from
dealers making an effort to cater to more traditional
photography as well. When I need something like a bag or other accessory,
you can bet I try to spend my money at the same place. The
same for my film processing lab. They get all of my funds spent on film and
chemicals as well. (Not that you could actually find
that stuff in stock at your local electrical bargain outlet). Sometimes it
isn't easy and you literally cannot give them your money
because Leica equipment, especially any range of used gear, is very uncommon
hereabouts. Today I paid for a new 50 Summilux asph.
Ouch, but my money went to the camera equipment seller staffed by
enthusiastic and knowledgeable people and with a large and
thriving used film gear department and lots of Leica gear in stock. The same
folks won't shake their heads when you want to talk
trade-ins, provide fair prices and very good service. Guess who got my money
for two M bodies, and a couple of lenses over the last
year or two?

Hang in there, you traditional camera shops and all of you other consumers,
you know who to support if you want to help maintain
this sort of facility.

Cheers
Hoppy