Subject: [Leica] We all do it
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed Dec 13 21:43:31 2006

Steve:  This is probably the PC/Mac gamma problem.  A PC like mine has a
standard gamma of 2.2.  A Mac (like yours, I believe) has a standard gamma
of 1.8.  So if I view a Mac file, it looks too dark, if you view a PC file,
it looks too light.

I may be compounding the problem because I've avoided color management.  My
monitor is calibrated, and the scanner, my digital camera, and the Noritsu
machine at Costco are all set to sRGB.  I worked out a curve by eye that
works reasonably well with my color printer, and my B&W stuff prints
properly with MIS inks and either the "Easy" B&W or the Paul Roarke curves.
But I don't have color management turned on in my image editor.

--Peter