Subject: [Leica] NW weather
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat Dec 16 13:18:15 2006

Ted, glad you're OK.

We're all right, as is our house.  Our neighbors across the street didn't
fare as well.  A big evergreen tree in their front yard had its trunk
snapped like a matchstick.  It fell across their driveway, crushing their
car and damaging a next-door neighbors' car as well.  At least it was only
cars, not people or their homes.

Before the wind, Seattle got an inch of rain in one hour.  One poor woman
drowned in her basement laundry room.  There were cars floating at a low
point on Mercer St. just a few blocks from where I work.  And the streets
were jammed, not with people trying to get home, but with people trying to
get to a major football game--which was played, despite minor ponds on the
field and waterfalls cascading down the steps of the stands!  Fortunately
the game was over before the really big winds hit.

We were without power for 24 hours, got it back yesterday evening for a
while, lost it again for an hour, and then it came back on for good after a
couple of quick blackouts.  Some of the outlying areas may be without power
for several days.

Jerry:  Most of the electricity in the Pacific Northwest comes from
hydroelectric generators on dams.  The electric power company in southern
British Columbia is called "B.C. Hydro."  Hence, when Ted says "hydro,"
he's talking about electricity, not water.

How's the rest of the Northwest LUG?  Everybody OK?

--Peter

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] NW weather (Seattle Area))
Reply from lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger) ([Leica] NW weather)