Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: m4y at mac.com (m4y@mac.com)
Date: Fri Dec 8 21:19:54 2006

Clyde,

This is what I needed to hear! Perfect.

Tina's comment sent me scurrying and I found a couple of loooong
threads on the Leica User Forum and much discussion amongst and
between the far more technically literate  than I. Someone it seems
had probed an M8 DNG's EXIF and found fields stating that the file
was 8 bit and uncompressed. There was much discussion about firmware,
cancelled orders,  file size, lossy and lossless compression
algorithms including the specs Adobe's own DNG standard, and so on
and so forth.

Some sensible sorts said who cares? Look at the quality, and of
course they have a point but it's equally true that I cannot tell an
8 from a 16 bit image just by looking. All I knew was that I didn't
want the histogram opening like a vertical blind in winter when I
messed with it and I couldn't find any comments on that at all.

Delighted to hear it's come through an adequate torture test or 2
with flying colours.

Dom