Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu Dec 7 07:29:03 2006

In Clyde's results, again on my computer and monitor, the Canon is better,
but not as distinctly different as Tina's shots.  There
is a small(er) difference.

The Leica lens is showing  sharper, that is still true.  The 35'ASPH Lux is
just plain awesome.
At least we know definitively ( to date) our lenses are sharper than the
competition..... Leica did optimize the M8 for this
spec..... To date we can all agree that some of the finest lenses ever made
for film, are still the finest image producers ever made
in the digital world.

Now all the issue of SW comes up.  Valid comments.  And maybe now we are
getting to the core of the comparison issues....   Film
allows you to standardize  "process flow" and many variables to test Minox
against 11x14 B+J.  Digital camera models can not easily
be compared.  We tried it and saw differences.

Someone suggested using a specific workflow to optimize the images,
different for each.  OK, but given all the different
possibilities, how do you find the "best" workflow for each?  Try all the
combinations out?  ( Comment... don't you have ANYTHING
better to do with your time?)

Now we are in a dilemma.....  what is the proper path?  Test until we drop
of mouse induced tendonitis ?  Randomly or intelligently
select a single workflow for each?  Both?

What does Leica or Canon do?  Did they figure this out a while back, and
select subject matter and SW such that their images come
out best in advertising and promotional materials for each model of camera?

You betcha.....

You, as a working pro, or an amateur,  are at the crossroad of deciding to
buy an M8 ( or D5 or D200 or whatever) or stick with your
1954 double stroke M3.  Do YOU have the time to play with all these
variables?  If you are a working Doctor, Lawyer, or Indian
Chief, I doubt it.  If you are a working parent with 3 kids, all of whom are
in Scouts, Soccer, softball, and water polo, I know you
don't have the time.  What do you do?  Buy the D/M whatever and  use the
manufacturer's recommended SW or something recommended from
someone that you trust.  Nothing more.    So if my vote counts, testing
should be done with the manufacturers' freebie SW, not
altered in any way, and compressed using the standard freebie MS Jpeg
compression program. Period.

An alternative:
Stay with what works until some clear choice becomes obvious....   Remember
that your M3 provides you with some of the world's best
image capabilities, processed at the local Costco, and takes you 5 minutes
to get processed and printed for $10 or less.....  And
your wife is happy that Little Dora Sue looks really cute in her new pink
party dress........

Ever wonder why some don't use digital cameras.......?

Frank Filippone, hasn't seen a clear choice ......
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)