Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Leica back
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Fri Dec 8 15:06:12 2006

Given that a Phase One P45 (39 mp) back for Hasselblad V, 26 month
warranty, will run you a cool $23,990.00, and it has no moving parts;
I'd suggest that real cost rests in R&D - making the stuff work -
creating the dies, getting the software to work with the hardware, on
and on.

Leica taking back their first M8 run for fixes will cost them a
significant amount - chalk it up to R&D. As soon as they, or any
other player get a smooth functioning system out the door - they've
got to massage the firm ware and get on to the next level.

If you've got $25K going out the door for your P45 - keep in mind
that the P45+ will soon allow live viewing. Phase One will upgrade
your P45 if you bought it retail. But it's really about R&D for now.
They've got to hit the shows next year with competition killers and
they don't know for sure where the competition is going.

The bleeding edge of digital photography has little to do with
"consumer" electronics getting cheaper and cheaper. The consumer
level stuff gains from the developers at the bleeding edge. But the
bleeding edge remains with all the related R&D costs.

All the complaining about Leica not getting the M8 exactly right the
very first time does not acknowledge that they've done something no
one else has - they've produced a 10 megapixel Rangefinder camera
which cuts incredibly fine detail onto a digital image file, using
their marvelous lenses. All magenta issues aside.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Re: Digital Leica back)