Subject: [Leica] M7, M8, Film, Digital, same lenses
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Nov 27 17:17:08 2006

LUG:

One of the totally unintended consequences of buying the M8 is that I
have returned to using film.  I always carry at least two cameras and
since I've bought the M8, my second camera of choice is the M7.  I
can carry the same lenses and not worry about two systems.  I had,
however, forgotten about my frustrations with film.  I planned on
taking mostly photos of family at Thanksgiving inside houses, so I
carried lots of 400 ISO TMax and 800 ISO Fuji film.  I didn't plan on
coming back through the mountains of NC and photographing waterfalls
in the brilliant sunshine of a warm November day.  The 800 speed was
much too high for most of what I was shooting.  I was standing under
the Dry Fall waterfall when I ran out of film and had to open the
camera and reload, trying to shield the camera from the water.  When
I got it reloaded, it refused to take photos.  I had to replace the
batteries. When I got home, I took the film by Walgreens.  They
developed the color negatives within an hour but the B&W will take
two weeks.  I would have brought it home and put it in my Jobo but
the chemicals have expired and I would have to order more small
quantities that would probably expire before I take more film
photos.  I picked up the color prints and film from Walgreens and
mounted the color negatives in slide mounts to scan in my Nikon
LS5000.  I intended to compare photos taken with the M7 and film
using the 35/2.0 Asph lens and the exact same photos taken with the
M8 using the 28/2.8 Asph lens.  I had lots of examples - people,
waterfalls, statues - in many different lighting situations.  I
cannot get a single acceptable scan of the color negative film.  The
waterfalls are a brilliant purple or blue.  If I use the white
balance on the waterfall, the rest of the photo is dark and
murky.  I'm still working on it but don't have high hopes that I'll
be able to compare anything. The digital photos are already with my
stock agency.  I want another M8.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com