Subject: [Leica] OT How many here are retired? How many are happier after retirement than when you were working?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Mon Nov 27 15:04:10 2006

At 05:12 PM 11/27/2006, Vick Ko wrote:
 >How many here are retired?
 >
 >How many are happier after retirement than when you were working?
 >
 >Regardless whether you are retired or not, what do you do to make funds for
 >those additional Leica purchases?
 >
 >...Vick, dreaming of retirement (or minimally not working at present job)

Vick

I retired from the practice of law in July.  The
profit from the sale of my building (fortunately,
the building next door had just been rehabbed)
gives me quite a bit of breathing room, though I
will probably have to find something to bring in
some money until my Army Reserve retirement kicks
in in three years.  I was able to do this as my
wife got a significant promotion and pay-raise,
and so I have now succeeded in my original career
goal of becoming a "kept man", a goal it only
took me four decades to achieve!  (Marry a
Master's level Nurse:  they are great at
management, are easy to work with, and generally
don't gripe too much about your cooking.  Bear in
mind those words of Red Green, the former Chief
Optical Designer at Leitz, Midland, that, "if
women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy".)

I really don't plan on buying any more major
Leica items, unless they bring out another
Televid doo-dad, though this is probably
unlikely.  I have a IIIc, IIIf RDST, IIIg, M3 DS,
and M6 Wetzlar, along with a bunch of Leica
lenses (1.4/35 Summilux ASPH, 1.4/50 Summicron,
1.5/5cm Summarit, 2/5cm Summitar, 2/5cm NF
Summicron, 1.4/75 Summilux, 2/90 APO-Summicron,
3.4/135 APO-Telyt, 4.5/20cm Telyt, 4/200 Telyt,
4.8/280 Telyt, 5/40cm Telyt) and a bunch of other
non-Leitz/Leica LTM lenses (and a 4.5/21 CZ
Biogon converted to Leica M BM).  So I am good to
go for the present -- I also have a bunch of
Rolleiflex TLR gear, including a 2.8GX and a 2.8F
12/24, and a Hasselblad 2000 FC/M, a 500 CM, and
an SWC.  And I have a Leica Pradovit P150 slide projector and a V35 enlarger.

I will spend my off hours now setting up my
darkroom once I get everything moved here to
Chester from my former home in Roanoke,
Virginia.  I will then try to learn how to do
digital photography but the local Community
College doesn't offer much, I fear, though the
one in Richmond, a half hour's drive away, does
offer some courses.  I was absolutely horrified
by the recent discussion of computer gear
necessary for Photoshop, as I simply had no idea
what the guys were discussing:  it was as if I
was eavesdropping on a conversation of American
football fans.  Swap disks and so forth:  it was
all gibberish to me.  <sigh>  I was deprived of a
sound mathematical training in High School, as I
was always taught by Basketball Coaches whose
approach when I got lost was to demand, "ask a
SPECIFIC question", which, of course, I could not
do.  I made it to the Calculus, but only through
the grace of God.  I wanted to go back in my
retirement and start anew at Algebra I and work
my way up, but it now seems that I will have to
defer this once again so that I can learn the
definitions of the terms the Computer Guys are
using, a process which apparently will take me some years, I fear!

So, I won't be buying much Leica gear anew, I
fear, but I will probably be knocking off odd
lots of darkroom stuff being remaindered!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] OT How many here are retired? How many are happierafter retirement than when you were working?)