Subject: [Leica] But I'm not ready!!!!
From: jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier)
Date: Mon Nov 27 10:54:20 2006

I grew up in snow country too. I have driven just about every type of
vehicle in all kinds of conditions and the only real troubles were
keeping the windshields clear on early VWs (late ones had a bigger
fan); and, keeping the wheels on the ground at high speeds in an
early MGB. Above 70 mph with a lot of snow on the ground would cause
the car to "snow-plane" -- kind of neat actually.

My favourite snow driving memory is of one night driving in a
blinding blizzard. Somehow we accidently switched the lights off and
discovered that there was a full moon out with only a thin layer of
cloud. With the lights on, you couldn't see 50 feet. With the lights
off, you could see for miles. It was way past cool driving along and
only switching on our lights as we approached other vehicles. As we
went by, the other vehicles saw what we were doing and turned their
lights off too.

In partial defense of coastal drivers, snow with ambient temperatures
around 0?C and the ground not frozen, makes for very, very slippery
conditions.

John Collier