Subject: [Leica] Re: Windows viruses on Macs
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Nov 25 17:24:11 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 10:00 PM, Brian wrote:

> Running Windows on a Mac will not affect in any way its
> vulnerability to viruses and spyware. It's the software, not the
> hardware, that is vulnerable to these things.
>

>> We run a PC shop at my office with Macs coming in recently. We
>> are  running Parallels on an iMac. It runs Windows faster than the
>> PCs we  have. It is also relatively immune to viruses and spyware.

Brian,

With Windows running in Parallels, the viruses have to get through
the Mac built in firewall first. Remember that in Parallels, Windows
is running on the Mac OS. Not so for Bootcamp. Here the Mac is
directly booted into Windows and is vulnerable to all Windows
malware. At our university, we have been running Windows XP in
Parallels on Intel Mac 17" and 20" computers using OS 10.4 for 6
months and have yet to be infected with a Windows virus.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Re: Windows viruses on Macs)