Subject: [Leica] Re: Best PDA
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Nov 25 17:00:03 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 10:48 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

>>> the Psion Series 3 was by far the best PDA ever in my opinion,
>>> instinctive software, beautifully made and functional. Killed by
>>> cheaper less effective competition.

If your PDA needs are keeping phone and address files, appointment
schedules, financial records, spreadsheets, communications,
programming, games, but not viewing colored pictures, the best PDA's
are the old (circa 1992/4) HP 100LX and 200LX. These little PDAs are
really second generation IBM computers packaged in a hockey puck
sturdy case the size of two cigarette packs. The computers are solid
state and will take up to a 2 GB Compact Disc chip in a PCMCIA
housing. The PC slot also accommodates  PC cards for communications,
GPS, wi-fi, etc. Built into the computer's ROM is an appointment
program, a Lotus 1,2,3 spreadsheet program, a sophisticated math
calculation, a word processor, Pocket Quicken, Laplink, ccMail,
communications programs and direct support for a variety of printers.
I have several programming languages on mine, including MS Basic,
True Basic and Forth, and a couple of statistical programs. In short
it is a full fledged PC computer that will run any IBM software that
can work on DOS 5. The display is the weak point from a photographic
standpoint. It is a reflective B&W screen capable of displaying 25
lines of 80 characters. It can handle JPEG pictures but only to 2 bit
depth.

The small HP hand held computers are a favorite of scientists,
engineers, and medical personnel. A 2 GB chip can hold the entire
2000 page Merck manual and probably half the NY phone book. Hundreds
of free programs are available on the Internet.

Like the Leica camera, good things are not easily obsoleted by trendy
glitz.

Larry Z