Subject: [Leica] Psion - was "The worst insult..."
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Thu Nov 23 09:41:43 2006

I dd some work with Psion in the mid-90s. I was stunned by the variety of
PSION-based or -derived systems around: many stores have data collection
systems
that were Psion powered, various ticketing systems; many, many warehouses,
other
kinds of data loggers and so on. Ruggedised handhelds was then - and is
still -
their business. I always thought that the consumer handheld PDAs were a
sideline. I had one for three or four years and thought it was brilliant.

What killed off the Psion was the  growth in end-user expectations. As
processor, memory, performance and other metrics rocketed, Psion was unable
match that within its form factors. They also used a lot of proprietary
parts
which soon became obsolescent. To meet the challenge of the portable PC they
would have ended going head-to-head with the bigger players. They have now
withdrawn most if not all support and have reverted to their mainstream
activities. They merged with Canadian company Teklogix to become
Psion-Teklogix
a few years ago.

Were they like Leica? (back on topic!) I don't know. Leica's importance is
quality, history, usability and its position as the pre-eminent rangefinder.
Its
downside is corporate inertia, partially disguised as technological inertia
and
a blinding desire for perfection. Some of those are similar to Psion; but on
the
whole, no; the similarities are fewer than the differences.

Peter Dzwig

PS they are at: http://www.psionteklogix.com/

support for older system is at http://www.mypsion.com/