Subject: [Leica] OT - Best PC Setup for Photoshop Question
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Wed Nov 22 19:51:06 2006

Greg and Jeffery, I'd like to make a couple of suggestions.
Firstly, if you can have one machine just for Photoshop, separately from
your day to day, it is ideal. The less "helpful" progs
running at the same time the better.
Any of the Intel dual core or core duo CPU's should work well. 2GB of DDRII
RAM running dual channel. (that is buy a matched set)
Big SATA hard drives (ridiculously cheap these days).
A separate hard drive just for your scratch disk.
A Sony or Panasonic for example 16x DVD burner.
Don't worry about super performance from a video card. All of that big piles
of memory and super GPU's are largely for games
(3D)performance.
Get one that supports two DVI outputs so you can dual monitor if you want.
I'd suggest a decent brand. NVIDIA make a lot of good
chipsets which many makers use. Radeon also, however I have no personal
experience there.
A good monitor, as big as you can afford. Widescreen is good a lot of extra
work area for menus etc beside the pic window. Two
monitors is better again. Dell have good prices when on specials. I have
their 24" widescreen (Samsung LCD).
OK well see if that makes sense, and other LUG folk will add to my note, I'm
sure.

Cheers
Hoppy